May 2021 - Face coverings in Don Valley Academy - update
We have reviewed the government guidance issued earlier in the week and have also liaised with the Local Authority to review specific public health guidance for the Doncaster area. Following this, we are now in a position to update you with regards to the wearing of face coverings at Don Valley Academy from Monday 17th May onwards. Doncaster has confirmed that local rates are higher than the England average and that data also shows that the highest rates locally are in the 10-14 and 17-24 age brackets.
Therefore, to support students, staff and the local community, from Monday 17th May, we will return to the plans that were in place from September to December 2020. This means that from Monday 17th May, students, staff and visitors:
- Are required to wear face masks in all communal areas (unless they have an exemption pass);
- Are required to continue to wear face coverings on public transport and school transport (unless they have an exemption pass);
- Entering the Academy and until students are seated in their classroom
- When moving around the corridors/to the toilets at any time between lessons and at break times*
- Whilst queuing for food at break/lunch times*
- Leaving the Academy and until they have exited the Academy buildings
*Once students are seated in their lunch/break area or classroom, they can remove their face mask.
Staff will also be required to wear face coverings whilst moving on the corridors and on duty in communal areas.
Staff, students and visitors will not be required to continue wearing face coverings in classrooms, but they may continue to wear one if they would prefer to.
We plan to review these arrangements after half term.
I would like to thank you for the continued support that you have given the school throughout the last 14 months as we work together to keep our students, staff, their families and the local community safe.
Mrs H Thornton